[SPOILER] The last beat

General topics related specifically to the PS3 game.
Aicard
Location: S land of Seas, had to flee from NW land of forest. Don't try to argue with a drunk fairy

[SPOILER] The last beat

Postby Aicard » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:40 am

Hi! Let's take a break from the plot-analysis for once !

As i made my first serious attempt at the final song battle (Branch D) since i completed it last year, i thought it might be fun to share our experience on it, my apologies if I bring back bad memories…=)

In my case it was hell! (I did it in august so it was damn hot xO), It took me around 20-25hours to make it (I didn’t use a video to help, out of foolish pride, plus I’m terrible at rhythm games)…(what…play!...)
But I’m filled with nostalgia thinking about it now… when I made it to four? I was already grumbling at how hard it was, and nearly impossible when I made it to three xO while now I wonder how can it be possible to fail Four…
By the end I no longer needed to concentrate, my thought would drift off only to wake up once I reached the sextet, at my own bewilderment…
Strangely enough it was Two which required the most time and efforts to master, but by the time I managed to reach the sextet, I almost never failed at Two again and I think she’s very easy now…
While for Three, I got the hang of her timing quickly, and had no problem with her for a long time. Yet at some point, while making the X attempt at the sextet, and out of boredom I looked the movement of Three and I noticed that the timing for her last beat is about one second after she stop moving her arm. Once I noticed that, unconsciously I would immediately press the button right after she stop her arm, and ended up failing every single time here… after one hours of that I took a desperate method: now, when I have to do that last beat of three, I close my eyes, not to see the TV screen, and can’t make it past her otherwise… I must look quite stupid doing it…

After I finished the mission I was certain those goddamns rhythms would be engraved upon my flesh and soul for a long time… so I made a new try last week, to check !

I was flabbergasted as I reached the next to last beat (when the screen goes black) at my fifth try, I wondered if I needed to laugh or to cry… (If I had done it on this fifth try I would have cried, definitely)
But after that It eluded me for some time, i was blocked by One for some reason… I think at that fifth try I didn’t even had the time to understand what was happening and made it on pure instinct and luck. And afterward I went overconfident and lost my calmness and control.

I failed at the very last beat once (I laughed) and then a second time (I didn’t laughed).
In the end it took me around 5h, I’m a bit disappointed I was aiming for 2-3hours, but well, I failed a bunch of times at the next to last beat and it take a goddamn long time to reach it… about 10mins with the reloads and all…

What about you? Did anything funny, strange or nerve-wrecking, happened when you did it, and have you completed that mission a second time (or more) since then?

(While I’m at it, happy birthday rekka!)

Terramax

Re: [SPOILER] The last beat

Postby Terramax » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:12 am

I used a youtube bar to help me through it. I found it fun for the first 20 minutes, then frustrating as hell. I have no pride. I play games to relax, not work like this c**p. And the ending wasn't even worth it in the end.

Thankfully, youtube meant I could watch the ending before completing the actual song, as I would've been ridiculously disappointed and forsaken the entire game had I spent hours just for that.

The song itself is beautiful though, and I still listen to it every now and then on my MP3 player.

Zeilo

Postby Zeilo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:58 pm

I like your story Alcard. You make me wanna try playing it again as crazy as that sounds.

I raged quit when I messed up on the last beat playing this boss over and over again. After that I just watched the ending.
My sister was able to beat it though, darn her.

Aicard
Location: S land of Seas, had to flee from NW land of forest. Don't try to argue with a drunk fairy

Postby Aicard » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:39 pm

All the persons I heard who had troubles completing it but did their best to do so (with several months between each serious attempts in some cases.) were all very glad when they did, so at the very least I can say with reasonable confidence that you too will be very glad. Is it worth the effort? That much I can't say for myself so even less for you. (Well in your case at the very least, I suppose your sister will stop mocking you about it xO)

Although there's one more thing I can say, looking back I believe it took me roughly the same time (around 20h, I was at home, sick for two days and with nothing better to do xO) to finish the last boss of Dod1 which is of course way, way, way easier (there's a stupid trick to notice) but that was 10 years back, I was younger, now I can finish this one in just a few try without training, so who knows? perhaps if you reattempt Dod3 last boss in ten years, you'll beat the crap out of it in no time so don't lose hope!

Return to “General Discussion”