Hello :3

Member introductions, birthdays, goodbyes, and other personal notices.
Boxy108

Hello :3

Postby Boxy108 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:40 pm

Seems kinda like a ghost town here...guess it's not surprising considering DOD/Nier aren't as popular as most garbage unfortunately. :/ Still hoping there are some folks still here to talk to.

I'm Boxy, or Travis. Have stuck with Boxy or Boxman for the last few years on most sites I frequent. Kinda nerdy, autistic, artistic, quiet, have no life but at least have finally got a job. Will have been there for a year come August so hope they'll let me stick around. Still have way too many games to get between MGSV, Devil's Third, ZeldaU, Starfox 0, Let it Die, Nier 2, etc. etc. Gaming's been a big part of my life since early childhood. Favorite's tend to be a bit artsy, my absolute being both Wind Waker and Killer7. Right now I have a huge backlog, but mostly I've been stuck on Nier Replicant, Flower Sun and Rain, and Witcher 3.

Got into the series when I was watching Quadraxis14's videos on youtube. Looking back I'm not really sure why I enjoyed them, but it was enough to get me to try it out, it looking similar to Zelda or Okami...in fact I hope Platinum still has people leftover from Clover so perhaps their work on Okami's level design could be applied to the new game. From there I got Drakengard 3, which wasn't quite the same but I got every trophy anyway, and appreciate more of it now that I'm nearing the end of the first game. Still have yet to play much of 2, and don't have as much drive to knowing Yoko Taro didn't have as much involvement, but I think I'll get to it eventually.

I guess that's about it, but if anyone wants to talk more I'm pretty open to making new friends.

Rekka Alexiel
Demonic Seraph of Flame
Demonic Seraph of Flame

Re: Hello :3

Postby Rekka Alexiel » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:46 am

Welcome! Yeah, there isn't much going on here right now, but hopefully people will come to see what's up from time to time. Now that it's summer, I bet people are busy doing other things... or maybe not. xD

Personally, I need to get to the beach today! Typhoon blew by and now the sky is a gorgeous one shade of blue. <3

Boxy108

Postby Boxy108 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:48 am

I'm not ._. lol Well actually tomorrow I am going to some park. First tuesday off I've had in months. Really not a summer person though...can't wait til fall. :P The beach sounds pretty nice right about now.

Aicard
Location: S land of Seas, had to flee from NW land of forest. Don't try to argue with a drunk fairy

Postby Aicard » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:24 pm

Busy alright but i won't blame the summer xO.

Anyway

Welcome :bouncy: ! Sure it's not cramped around here, but it's also what make the charm of the place right ?
And after all, as Taro said, he makes weird game for weird people. This World would be quite a mess if it was filled with Dod's fans... (or perhpas not)

I agree there's just too many games to get, i almost wish they could stop games developpement a year or two to let me catch up...

For some reason i can''t get to like Okami, the art is gorgeous alright, but i don't know, except for the artistic direction i just see it as poorly made zelda.

I really ought to try suda51 productions...more game to get... -sigh-

Random thoughts completly off topic, feel free to skip that part. \!/Grimoire NieR spoilers and Mature content ahead :beer: \!/
[+] Click to show.
I was re-reading Grimoire Nier short story 赤ト黒 "red and black" (the one where Nier prostitute himself) and 魔女ノ夜宴 "the witch sabbath" (the one where kaine jack off here far from femine part) these days.
It made me think about the somewhat homophobic post on rekka's tumbler after she relayed the supreme court decision on gay marriage. It stroke me as very strange, how the hell can someone who hang around a Dod's fan website and is therefore supposed to enjoy taro's work be homophobic ? I mean there's a good bunch of homosexuals, not to say of other characters with"eccentric" taste in it. They do realise that -in theory- if Nier and Kaine where to fulfill their love, they would not just be picking flower on the roadside holding hands would they ? Even Emil, 1000years living alone with Sebastian, that must create some links :lol:...Or Octa...hum Octa... i don't know how to stay subtle here... Anyway there's so many other example.
I'm not saying homophobic people shouldn't play and enjoy Taro's game they are free do to whatever the heck they want even if it bears contradictions, but that still a bit weird isn't it ? weird game for weird people eh...oh well too busy to care about that

Rekka Alexiel
Demonic Seraph of Flame
Demonic Seraph of Flame

Postby Rekka Alexiel » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:14 pm

Yeah, I think I'll put this in a Hide Box, too, since it's not really necessary and just a follow up to Aicard's post:

[+] Click to show.
I'm not sure I remember exactly what post you're referring to--maybe it was a post by an Anon that I put in his place? lol But, apparently I've really upset my right-wing, "traditional marriage" only brother with posting stuff on equal marriage rights. I'm so tired of getting gripe from my family no less. It was funny, my brother just randomly posted on my page "Did you lose your religion?" Huh? And, what the hell kind of response is he looking for? Personally, I don't think it's any of his business what I believe, family or not. He goes, "Oh, I'll still love you regardless," and then follows up with "Your posts have been pissing me off, though." !?!?! seriously WTF.

I really think a good portion of my family are ignorantly stuck in their traditional ways simply because they have never gotten out of the country let alone their little, rural towns. Sure, my mom and sister have traveled abroad, but never *lived* abroad. Getting out of your humble abode makes you learn more about other people and cultures, experience different types of religion. Why must one have to believe the same religion just because that's what your parents believed? I don't get it. It means nothing if it has no meaning for yourself as an individual.

And on the topic of homosexuality, I have a ton of gay friends, even my pseudo-brother has been in a long-term relationship with another guy. I don't care. They're happy and they make me happy just seeing them be happy. People should have the right to be happy, as long as they're not hurting anybody. Then people bring up the whole slippery slope thing. "Oh, if a man can marry a man, then who's to stop someone from marrying a horse?!" BECAUSE A HORSE IS NOT HUMAN, MORON! Ugh. I can't stand it.

Ok, I'm done. I'm just really, really tired of this topic and people having a hissy fit over it.

Boxy108

Postby Boxy108 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:59 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys. :)

Yeah, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Okami...Love the music, art style, story, characters, exploration. However, the dungeon design can be a bit boring, pacing can be pretty inconsistent, some sidequests are confusing, hate some of the mini games, and I find the powers actually become less accurate as you obtain more of them...depends on which version you get, too. Usually don't have any issues with Wii controls but here I highly prefer the PS3 one over the other two.

Suda51 is sort of all over the place, but is sort ofone of my favorite devs because of that. Started with No More Heroes, loved it and Killer7, NMH2 was a mix, Shadows of the Damned was disappointing in some ways, Lollipop Chainsaw was good fun but very clunky and short, Killer is Dead was a return to more serious storytelling which I liked, as well as more polished gameplay, but felt it stuck maybe a bit too close to Killer7, being sort of a quasi sequel but not quite.

Right now, FSR isn't totally serious, but it feels like there's a lot of detail and is more of an experience than a game. Not bad but I don't know if it's for everyone. Am hoping someday Silver Case gets localized but it seems doubtful. Let it Die looks interesting, but it's worrying that it will apparently be free to play and looks primarily multiplayer focused. :/

Guess I'll try this hide box thing now and see if it works...

[+] Click to show.
I can agree that any consenting adults should be free to marry. Was raised catholic but that really didn't last too far into early childhood - don't think I ever really believed it. Regardless of my atheism, though, I don't think any religion should be able to directly affect law. Fortunately my immediate family isn't so strict or judgemental, nor are any of my friends.

There was one girl I dated, who had a brother who didn't like that she identified as such. :/ It must really suck to have that sort of thing happen. :( I would say I'm straight, but well I suppose Kaine sort of opened up my interest in more dominant women, so I think I can understand to an extent what it's like not to fit in with "normal" :P Aside from the nerdness and all.

On the topic of the short stories and such...sadly my knowledge of the series only comes from the games themselves, so I'm probably missing out on a lot of lore or important details. Will have to do more research eventually.

Aicard
Location: S land of Seas, had to flee from NW land of forest. Don't try to argue with a drunk fairy

Postby Aicard » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:56 pm

Regarding Dod and NieR materials. According to Yoko Taro It really doesn’t matter at all for him if you don’t read all the side stuff, only the games themselves are important, and since the shortstories etc. only exist for the most curious of us.

Nonetheless in my opinion it’s essential to read Dod3 prelude before playing the game to fully enjoy it. Well since you already played the game there’s no need for that anymore but I can still recommend you Zero’s novella as it’s very important to understand the character’s background, and cross-read Five-dito novella because they are hilarious (and personally, I’m fond of Michaël’s Novella, but it can’t be found on the official website)
You can find most of them on Dod3 website (in English and japanese)

In the case of NieR, you can find a fanstranslation of Grimoire NieR on internet
I spotted a few errors here and there but overall it’s a very nice translation I believe.
Although, for grimoire NieR if you’re short on time or don’t want to read the whole script, I advise to focus only on the Chronology (project gestalt outline), and perhaps also “the abyss of project NieR n°1,2,3.” But overall I don’t think Grimoire NieR’s novella are really important to enjoy the game (except perhaps “And then there were none”, explaining the origin of three characters of the game)

And of course there’s ton of stuff on Rekka’s website and other place if you care to look for them.

I can’t get to like Okami but I still completed it at 100% (on ps3) xO which I wouldn’t have done, if I hated it of course, it’s just that I won’t keep any special memories of it.

As I value scenario above all else (in a very large sense thought) I’ll probably go for Killer7 first, the split personalities plot seems quite fun.

[+] Click to show.
On the marriage I was indeed refering to some anon post on your tumbler stating "Why are you sharing some stupid crap about gay Obama?" You should probably forget it as quickly as you did the first time.

I can hardly judge anyone because I’m on the opposite extreme side. As very uncaring person who wouldn’t even twitch an eyebrow in front of someone wedding a horse (horse marriage are as old as Christendom if not older anyway). But I’m well aware that my point of view is wrong if not worse, at least society-wise. But who and where set those boundaries are of no concern to me.
After all, quoting a certain someone “'Rules do not exist to bind you. They exist so you may know your freedoms.» :P
Even if I prefer another one “laws are meant to be broken”
But well… In my surroundings Homophobia is closer to the museum curiosity or television drama than anything else, so I’m not really to speak.

Regarding religions, if I try to picture a believer, if he thinks following his belief is the only way to know happiness and to reach heaven, seem quite normal to me that he would grieve when his beloved and close ones stray from those beliefs. Of course I don't know your situation, it's probably a lot more complex or simple than that. And being cynical I tend to think there's usually uglier reasons, the "I bash you because i love you" is just too beautiful a story to be true.

In any cases, didn’t think I would stir a debate on Marriage and religions xO, sorry to remind you of painful memory and I also apology for having used your neat introduction for that Boxy… let’s cut the topic or discuss it elsewhere if suche a need ever arise shall we.

Terramax

Postby Terramax » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:28 pm

Old post is old, I know, but I thought I'd chip in anyways.

Welcome, Boxy. I know, at this time of writing, you've only posted about 3 times now, but here's hoping you stick around for the long run. I hope that, nearing the release of Nier Automata, maybe we'll have more members spring up to keep things around here alive.

On a side note, also add me as one of the very few who didn't have shining things to say about Okami, when I played it on the PS2. I found the visuals grainy (as is the case with a lot of PS2 titles), the music unmemorable, and as previously stated, the level designed severaly lacking.

I really ought to give the PS3 a try.

Return to “People Pages”